Recently, I spoke at a Mom 2 Mom Retreat here in the Atlanta area to women of all ages on the topic “JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL.” Below is my ministry message notes briefly summarized. I shared about this Road of Life that all of us are on and the importance of allowing the Lord to make the difference in life after giving Jesus the Wheel and relinquishing control.
- Psalm 46: 1-2, and 10…God is our refuge and strength. A very present help in trouble. Therefore; we will not fear…Be still (Cease Striving) AND know that I’M THE LORD.
- Proverbs 3:5-6… “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.”
There is a Road called “Life” and all of us are on this road. On the Road of Life…Sometimes, you’re the windshield and sometimes you’re the bug! Sometimes, you eat the bear….AND, sometimes, the bear eats you! I know I certainly don’t like being the splattered bug. But, in all seriousness life’s roads can be very treacherous and God wants to help each of us to walk this road properly with His wisdom and guidance.
A few years ago, the American Idol Winner, Carrie Underwood, released a song called, “Jesus Take The Wheel.” This song sent her to the top as a Superstar. The words are powerful… “Jesus, Take The Wheel! Take it from my hands ‘Cause I can’t do this on my own. I’m letting go. So, give me one more chance. AND…Save me from this road I’m on. Jesus, Take the wheel!”
I. What Does The “Road of Life” Represent To You?
- It may be an Overwhelmed Life with cares and stress more than you can handle
- The Struggles of Raising a Family …Sometimes, without the help, support and love from others
- Financial and Emotional Burdens…Just too much to bear
- Health Problems that can destroy your future
- Unemployment or a Dead End Job
- A Misspent Youth … You feel like your future is ruined
II. What Does The “Wheel” Stand For In Your life?
- It’s the way you STEER your life…the direction you go and where you turn
- For the girl in Carrie Underwood’s song, she was on a slippery road but lost control!
- It’s all about WHO is in Control of your life!
- Obviously, if the Lord isn’t…it’s time to allow Him to be in control
III. What Has To Happen For You To Want To Give The Wheel To Jesus?
- For the girl in Carrie Underwood’s song…she was so scared that she threw her hands into the air and said, “Jesus take the wheel. Take it from my hands ‘Cause I can’t do this on my own anymore. I’m letting go so give me one more chance and save me from this road I’m on. Jesus take the wheel.”
- For you, it may be a Wake-Up Call where you realize that you can’t survive without God’s help
IV. How do you relinquish the controls of your life and give Him the wheel?
A. You have to “Come To The End Of Yourself!”
B. “Letting Go of the Wheel” doesn’t mean that you bail out of life ….it means His Hands are securely on Your Hands helping you to steer your life in the right direction.
C. For Christ to in control of your life means…You Must Be Born Again!
D. Ask God’s Spirit to Speak into Your Life
- God speaks to you through His Word (Begin with Psalms and read the Four Gospels (Good News)
- God speaks to you through your pastor…listen to his sermons
- God can speak into your life with a word from HIM. This means He is aware of you and loves you so much that He wants to share His kind intentions with you. A true word from God will never violate scripture. AND…It can change your life forever.
- Follow the pattern of Proverbs 3: 5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, AND do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and he will make your paths straight.
V. Will I See A Difference In My Life After I “Give Jesus The Wheel?”
You may still find yourself in the same kind of mess (it doesn’t just disappear suddenly) but your hope will be a “NEW POWER” available to you that you didn’t have before. That Power is called, “His GRACE!” AMEN!